Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reading Responce Coming of Age

Moeez Akmal
Title: The outsiders
Author: S.E. Hinton

The book The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is a book about friendship. This book taught me multiple things and showed me a new way too look at my friends.
This book taught me many lessons but one main lesson it taught me was to always confess for your mistakes instead of hiding them. I say this because in this book Pony and Johnny ran away when the killed the kid from the Socs. In my opinion I think they should have stayed and confessed because then it would not lead to future events that got Johnny killed. Even though Johnny died as a hero, he lost his life from taking someone else’s.
I also like this book very much because I can relate it to the real world events. I can relate it because many people do not show what they feel because they feel like they  would get mocked on or teased. Through out the book Dally showed a tough and strong personality, but when Johnny and Pony went into the house on fire to save the kids , for the first time Dally was scared. He wasn’t scared of the fire itself but he was scared he might lose them. Dally showed he care by jumping into the house of fire after the kids. Johnny died without knowing how much people really cared for him. Dally loved Johnny, and the loss affected him deeply.
This book showed many symbolic and meaningful scenes. I think the most symbolic scene was how at the end, in the letter Johnny wrote to Pony he told Pony to stay gold. In my opinion I think that this meant that Pony had a good heart, and he was a nice person. Pony was nice and always willing to help. What Johnny meant was he wanted Pont to stay the way he is and not change for anyone or any reason.
This book really meant a lot to me , and it showed me what true friendship is. Even though Johnny died, he left with something in mind. He left with hope that one day the Greesers and the Socs could sit together, as equal, as normal people.

No comments:

Post a Comment